Tuesday, March 22, 2011

DAY EIGHTEEN



The above in my very near vacinity.... the first working fountain I have seen, a cafe in rue de barre and a lady doing martial arts on the bank of the river before I cross over to Ile St Louis

The reality strikes when I type in the words at the heading... 18 days has passed since I arrived here, tired, homesick and very very disorientated.



By now, I rarely walk with or think about a map. I will not say I know the area - or Paris - that is something I don't think anybody can really say.... they are ever changing and working on buildings so it is evolving all of the time and just as you think you have it under the belt - the shop might have changed name or purpose.....



By good authority I was told to take it slowly....to relax and not walk myself into a stupor all of the time....so today I firstly, got up late 09h00 .... - but not late for Paris...here nobody seems to be around till 10 and then I will go and look for a shopping bag at FNAC - it is nice and large and I will be able to take some of my heavier warm things to Germany with me.



Everybody and anybody tried to get some sun in the park across from the Notre Dame on the Left bank....crossing the bridge I (and many others) was surprised to see the police with other men putting orange paste into the river and it turned the river into a lime/neon green.... wonder if it was to sanitise the river?
The small cafe I have passed before but now there were customers.... I could not resist a photo.

Within a moment it seemed I reached the St Germain Boulevard.... it was easy to find FNAC where the bag was bought and then I took Rue de la Harpe and that connected with rue Severin I think which came out next to the St Severin church.... it was funny how full of small restaurants this street was.... and in between somebody was trying to do some renovations.... (just proving my point - about the evolving changes in this city).... here today, gone tomorrow.

I then went looking for a gift for my brother in law in the large department store near Hotel d' Ville in Rue de Rivoli..... one of the largest streets which runs on the other side of the Louvre....the complimenting side is etched by the Seine.

I also tried to find the Sonnelier art shop which I did but they were closed...will go again....




The Concierge on the left where Marie Antoinette waited to be executed, the Tour St Jacques in the middle and the Pont des Arts on the right



The Seine with its greener water and lovely foliage on the trees and the Bookinists who sells books from the large wooden boxes fastened to the walls at the riverside........

It is so wonderful to realise that I am indeed learning and finding my way around here.... I love it!

Found a small toyshop which I saw on the Internet today, and also a very nice "silver shop" where a very nice and kind man spoke with me (in English) - what a surprise it was....




The special toyshop and the new leaves

Then towards St Paul I had to find milk, the essentials and demi-baquette - a whole one is too much for me. I only buy half a baquette when I buy - much nicer to have fresh bread when you like it and there is no shortage of boulangeries in this district.... I think there are 4 very near....

I haven't tasted a macaroon which they all seem to have, it seems something like a "national cookie" if there can be something like that..... perhaps I should buy some to take to Germany - ? I hope they are nice...they are handmade I presume.......

No comments:

Post a Comment