Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Beginning of a journey....

I am going to the Cite Internationale des Arts for two months....... (The Cite is a block of flats used by artists and people involved in the arts to stay in Paris and experience art in a different way..... )

The thought about doing something like this began about 18 months ago....actually no, it began when I met Paris in 2005 - yes I met the city and fell in love.

On my very first overseas visit my husband and I took our two young daughters to Paris for 3 days and I marched them up and down the different Rue to see the main highlights of Paris, the Notredame, we had to run through a section of Le Louvre, spent a small time in Musee d' Orsay and yes, we did the Eiffel as well, and the Rodin Museum..... and Disneyland Paris.

But I still had a longing to see more....to experience more. Then my art teacher told us about another artist who won the Atelier competition for artists up to the age of 35 and I thought this sounds great.....

Then in 2008 my husband and I went to Paris for a week and stayed in an apartment in St Germain..... and what an experience. I loved living in the heart of the old part of the city. We tried to experience a bit of what life is like in Paris but obviously could only experience so much.

I learnt that the South African National Visual Arts Association has the opportunity for artists to experience art and live in Paris for a while....in my case it would be 2 months.

I applied, the portfolio's was put together the admin was done...., and I was told that I would only be able to go in 2012 - I wished time away, and then a phone call from Monsieur X , (not his real name) somebody cancelled I could go a year earlier than I thought was possible.

I confirmed and now I am waiting....waiting for the French administration of the Cite International Des Arts to send me a letter to say which would be the dates I would be welcome to stay there...... still waiting - but I am so excited..... and little bit scared

No comments:

Post a Comment